Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Picnic Tunic and Toddler Sundress!


 It has been a while! Whew! With all the sickness going around, birthdays, Valentine's Day, a carnival, and school, I didn't think I'd see the light at the end of the tunnel. But alas, here I am and so very excited to share with you a project I completed a couple of weeks back.

Not long ago, I purchased the Ruthie Picnic Dress pattern from FooFoo Threads and I must say, this has become a favorite of mine and I have had the most compliments by far on this tunic/sundress.


A couple of things I learned along the way? How to applique and use interfacing. I had been wanting to test appliqueing but was so intimidated. So glad I took the chance on this pattern and dove in head first. It really was quite simple to do that I think I might start checking out more detailed appliques. But that is for another post! :)

As you can see in the below picture, the applique is the 'bib' that is on the front of the bodice. It is the contrasting fabric with the purple buttons on top. 



Interfacing is great for those spots we want to give a little stiffness and strength to such as button holes. Now, I have not used it on many projects because, to be honest, most of my projects have just been for show or for a single wear. For that, I never saw a reason to take the extra steps to add interfacing. However, if the item is going to be worn often and taken on and off frequently, DO use interfacing. It will help keep the garment in good looking shape without wearing down too bad.


So here is the finished product on my doll!



The biggest issue I had with this sundress was in no way a fault of the pattern design. It was purely self inflicted! As I was piecing together the bodice and the skirt, where the top of the skirt is obviously ruffled, I had a pin hiding in the folds. Yes, I was using a serger at the time. Yes, I know what you are thinking. Yes, that is exactly what happened!

The serger does not take kindly to anything but fabric. Needless to say, that hiding pin in the fold of the ruffles set me back a couple of days on other projects. With a lot of grunt work, I was able to finish this particular dress on the sewing machine, but I was so agitated with myself. Those pins can really hide! Scared me and the baby half to death when that little blade went flying across the room. And in a way I never thought I would feel when it came to my machines, I was heartbroken! Seriously....

Anyways, a week later and a replacement of the blades, I was back in business. It's amazing how much simpler and seamless projects are with a working serger. :)

So back to the pattern and designer...FooFoo Threads has some of my favorite patterns. They are all very detailed with many options that can be customized to suit your personal preference. Of course, there are many things that can be done just from the creativity of your own mind. However, I'm not confident enough yet to veer too far from the original patterns yet, but I'll get there.

The sizing is true to size, which is fantastic. Some other patterns that I like can be frustrating because they are not ready to wear sizing and some measuring has to be done, but these have never been that way for me. Or, I've just been lucky.

So bottom line, don't shy away from this pattern when you see the applique option. It is so worth it!


Thanks for stopping by!

~Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment