Friday, January 31, 2014

The 'Perfect Peasant' Dress

I have recently had some people bring to me some ideas for dresses for me to make. I was hesitant at first because I was not a huge fan of the dress, but after making them, I am in love with them. They were so easy to make and I had some great directions to follow, which makes it even better. 

After a couple of days, and yes, I literally mean a couple of days, I finally found the one that I thought would be the best pattern and have a great tutorial. I am pretty picky when it comes to patterns, and if I am going to buy them, they need to be in my language! Lots of pictures and detailed instructions. :) 

Not long ago I bought a pattern for some leggings, and after purchasing the pattern, reading the instructions, and then beginning the project, I got frustrated halfway through when the instructions were not as clear in doing as they were in reading. Anyways, now I do extra research to make sure I get what I'm looking for.

So on to the dresses! I decided to go with The Perfect Peasant from Peek-a-Boo Pattern Shop. Like I said, the instructions were very clear, with pictures to go along with every step. It also has a lot of options such as short and long sleeves, sash, and bows for hair clip or as an accessory for the sash. However, I made a modification on the long sleeve. Instead of doing a straight sleeve, I cut it in half and used the elastic to create a dimensional ruffled sleeve. I like this quite a lot better than just a straight sleeve. It was just missing something in my honest opinion. 

So here they are! I can not decide which I love more! There are so many things I could do with these. Sash, no sash, solid color, mixed patterns, dress or a top paired with leggings or ruffled pants, the list is endless. And by the way, in case you were wondering, I am working on ruffled pants and leggings to be paired with any of the dresses/tops that I create. I'm really excited! The most annoying part? Waiting for them to get here! Ugh, I seriously have an addiction to fabric!



Here are some individuals with my daughter posing. Please keep in mind, she does not like dresses! Haha...which makes these funnier!




Something I added, because I'm a fan of the finished edges, is the rolled hem. This is something I just learned and am so excited I took the time to find this one. You can see the threaded edges rather than just hemming. It adds just a little extra...something. :)




Another added touch? Monogramming! The downfall? My machine is not equipped to do very large prints. I am definitely thinking about getting a machine to accommodate for larger hoops if there is a need from requests. At this point, the largest I can do is 1.5" to 2" depending on the font. However, a way around this would be to use a contrasting thread. I'm thinking a dark blue would really have stood out on this.


Great pattern, great fabrics, lots learned! It was a great week and I am so happy with the end result!

Thanks for stopping by!

~Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment